Monday, December 27, 2010

A Christmas to never forget...

***The people at the agency said using the kids' ages was too personal so they shall forevermore further be known as Big, Little, and Princess***


HOLY COW!!!!

That's pretty much the only thing one can say after the Christmas that we had.  I did the math and the kids had SEVEN present times (eight for Big) and my house is paying for it.  I might have to take down the tree already because there is no room in the inn for all the loot!  Chad and I literally spent the evening last night looking at storage solutions for the house.  Just want you want to do after Christmas....go shopping for more stuff ;)

The kids did GREAT!!!  I mean, so great they deserve a medal!  I think it helps that I took a little time to seriously pray for sanity and peace before every present encounter.  I know how I handle stress and so asking (begging) God for help was probably the smartest thing I did this year because I KNOW I can't handle it all on my own.  But they were really good.  I was so thankful too that Princess took a lengthy nap at my parents' house on Christmas because she neeeeeeeded it. 

Anywho, needless to say, we've been busy people.  We went to Chad's grandparents' hosue on Christmas Eve to see them and Chad's dad.  Then the kids went to Gempa Marilyn's so she could take them over to another party while Chad and I went to Church.  Then we joined everyone at the party.  The kids were up so late that we actually had to get them up on Christmas morning at eight...I was dyiiiing!!!  Then after that, Aunt Jen came over (ooh, that makes eight/nine present opportunities) and then we made the drive to Grandma and Grandpa W's house.  Then yesterday we hit up Gempa Marilyn's for even more festivas.  Today, we're lounging around in our pj's while I try to make sense of the house again.  So far, my kitchen is functional so I feel pretty good.  The living room shall be tamed while they're pretending to take naps in a little bit. 

Some highlights of the Holiday:
*Big not wanting to open his Santa gifts so he could see what we'd picked for him.  He wasn't disappointed--he got a Leapster and he's been sacked out with it ever since!
*Little wearing his pj's and his new fireman raincoat lying on the floor at my parents' house playing with his Stinky the Trash Truck for hours
*Princess pushing her new doll stroller through my parents' house regardless of how much stuff was in her way with a purse on her arm
*Little pushing the doll stroller, talking on a pretend phone to Aunt Jen (wherever did he learn such a thing?)
*Big getting TICKED at me when I told him to put down the Leapster and use the bathroom
*The sound of Little snoring on the way home
*Princess thoroughly engrossed in her new dollhouse
*Remembering to relax and enjoy the kids
*Getting to make chocolate dipped everything with my mom because the kids were so entertained
*The sound of happy children playing together while I cleaned the kitchen earlier for longer than ten minutes!!!!

It was a great holiday and we had a wonderful time and I'm not going to lie that I'm sooooo happy it's done!!!!
Another thing I'm not going to lie about: I totally lost it on Christmas Eve.  Pastor Bob was talking about Christmas meaning more than presents and people needing Jesus and I just totally lost it because it struck me that tomorrow (Christmas), the kids would be waking up in our house and their parents would be waking up in an empty house...no kids...no excitement...no family.  And Big's dad would be waking up to a much sadder morning.  And there I was, annoyed about all the stuff they'd be getting, and where would I put it, and it was just going to be so terrible, and I just KNEW they'd be throwing tantrums, and oh the stress of it all...and yet, I had their kids for the day.  Can you just imagine how sad it would feel to wake up knowing your kids were having one heck of a Christmas at someone ELSE'S house?  Or how secretly sad it probably was for Big at least, to know he's not seeing his parents on a day that you typically spend with your family?  As a matter of fact, yesterday, Big had a bit of a meltdown because he missed his dad.  He hugged me for a loooong time and cried.  It just struck me how sad it all was.  I know that their parents made certain choices to get themselves into this mess, but it was still so sad to think that they wouldn't even get to hear their kids' voices on Christmas.  So, needless to say, anyone who saw me crying at Church on Christmas Eve--this is why. 
I forget to step back and look at the big picture a lot.  The little picture is all stress and frustration and me, me, ME!!!  It's all worry and craziness...but the big picture...it's not about me so much.  At least, not directly.  It's about them, and the experience they're getting.  And the knowledge that they are loved, not just by Chad and I who are the licensed foster parents here, but by everyone--my family, Chad's family, our Church family.  People who don't have to love them if they don't want to but do because they just can't help it.  They love us so they love them, or it's like I said before: when you look in their eyes, you can't help but love them.  When you think of all they've been through, you can't help but care for them.  And then I think of how God has orchestrated all of this...how He prepared the way for us to have them in our home.  And how He's given us a holiday we shall never forget.  And how when I stop and take a step back, I see the actual things I need to be worried about, and not the silly stuff like "where is THIS supposed to go?" (Although, seriously, I have no clue where everything is going to fit!!!)
Well, it's lunchtime for the crazies.  They're getting a little ornery which usually means they need to be fed.  Then comes one of my favorite parts of the day--NAPTIME!!!!!!!

No comments: